Advice for Switching Industries
Most of them have applied to positions at various agencies with little luck.
The reason? Most companies are seeking "round peg, round hole" applicants for their openings. Hiring managers want to mitigate risk and hire someone "safe."
I ask each of these candidates "How would you react to MY resume if I sent it into your department for a job opening?" Most of them say "I never thought of it that way... yes I probably wouldn't consider it very seriously."
This does NOT mean that job seekers should give up. You just need to understand the playing field.
So if you're a "transferable skill" candidate looking to switch industries, here's what I'd recommend:
1) Do NOT apply to job postings
2) Make a target list of companies you'd like to work for
3) Identify people at these companies you can reach out to for informational interviews (college alumni, people who have already made the switch you're seeking to make... anyone you'd be able to build rapport with quickly)
4) Go on lots of informational interviews, ask well-researched questions, take notes
5) Use this information to sharpen your focus and determine your value proposition
6) Keep networking until people start calling you back with opportunities